Tuesday, March 3, 2015

#1. Curly Question of this Week

I love my natural hair. I love how she  curls, how she feels, the health of her, and just the overall appearance. However, there are some downsides. Many people tend to believe that my hair isn't my own. I've had plenty of people ask me if it is real, or when my hair was straightened, if I have in extensions or a weave and then I tell them that I do not, they look at me in disbelief. Why can't a sista have long hair and not be questioned about it? 
But at the same time, I love it. In a sense, natural hair was once a controversy in itself. With the common many everywhere never correlating a person of color with long hair, until it was proven that it is possible! I know plenty of "black" girls with beautiful luscious locks. 
This particular subject led me to think about all the different questions and statements that I have heard about my hair, which led to this post today.
Listed below are 7 things I have heard number of times from others about my natural hair.

1. Is it real?

2. How many bundles is that?

3. How long does it take you to do your hair?

4. What are you mixed with?

5. No way you're fully black, black girls don't have hair like yours.

6.  How long have you been growing out your hair?

7. Wait, are you sure you're 100% black? You don't have any Indian in your family?

This just goes to show the light that the black community is portrayed in. It amazes me how long hair automatically means that your mixed with something. Now my question to you is, have you ever heard any remarks about your hair? Has someone ever believed that it wasn't real? Whatever the experience, be sure to leave what someone has said to you in the comments below and how you handled it. I can't wait to hear from you!

Sincerely,
A Natural

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely true! I have also experienced two other things. Either people are looking at me funny with my twist and fro, as if I went way too far left with my "afro-centric ideals" (whatever that means : / haha) OR people stare in disbelief when its straightened saying things like "Wow girl! I didn't know your hair was that long!. You should definitely wear it like that more often, instead of that other way"..uhmmmm...thanks.

    Either way I love my hair no matter what state its in! Good insight as always Sincerely...!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it's sad that black women are portrayed as having hair that "doesn't grow" and the hair that "nobody wants". When really, we have the most versatile hair and the most volume. Thanks for reading!

      xoxo

      p.s #ilovemyhair

      Delete