Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Wash Day Routine for Natural Hair

Ahh, the day is here! Wash day. You love how healthy your hair looks after, but you dread how long it takes. So now it's time to start, but you're not sure what to do and how to do it. Listed below, I will explain my wash day routine in hopes that you learn something useful and apply it next time your ready to wash.

Step 1: Prepoo & Shampoo

I always Prepoo before shampooing my hair because it lessens the harshness of the shampoo while also nourishing the hair and helping with tangles (for me). It's believed that the reason for doing this step before shampooing is because of the fact that oil and water do not mix well so when it's done before, it actually is able to penetrate your scalp. Then shampoo and usual. Be sure to only shampoo the roots. When you rinse it out, it'll catch the rest of the dirt as it does down your strands.

Step 2: Condition

Conditioning helps in the healthy hair process by putting certain nutrients back into the hair that may have been stripped when shampooing. However, these are usually only for 3-5 minutes.

Step 3: Deep Condition

Now this is my favorite, and also a very vital step in this process. Regular conditioning only did half of the job, and deep conditioning helps to fill in the gaps. This is meant to be left in a longer period of time than the regular conditioner, so it is better able to penetrate your hair. Deep conditioning helps to restore elasticity, shine, and I my hair even feels softer after one use.
DC that I recommend are the Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator, Mane and Tail Deep Mousturizer, Shea Moisture Organic Yucca & Baobab, etc. I then proceed to style as usual (which is usually twisting and then wrapping).

It's best to find what works best for your hair and then stick to it. Your hair will thank you for it. Happy conditioning!

Sincerely,
  A Natural


Before Wash Day

After Wash & DC

3 comments:

  1. I love Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator! What kind of leave in do you use?

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here and it smells amazing! I like to use the leave-in by Giovanni or African Pride's leave-in (which is quite inexpensive, might I add) with a little aloe vera juice mixed in. It does great for my hair.

      Xoxo

      Twitter: sincerelyanatur
      Instagram: sincerelyanatural

      Delete
  2. I actually follow these steps. I skip the DC at the end though. I noticed since I prepoo with oils or a mixture. It would be the same things I would DC with. I also find prepoo with oils leaves my hair very soft, shiny, & easy to detangle. It's just my preference though.

    ReplyDelete