Thursday, February 5, 2015

My Natural Hair Journey

   I’ve been asked plenty of times how I got my hair to grow and how I’ve managed to maintain a consistent rate of growth over the past couple of years. It has not been easy, that’s for sure.
I went completely natural (big chop) about 7 years ago. I didn’t like the process of transitioning, so instead I sped it up a little. I got all of my relaxed ends cut off and started from there.

    Every day, I had the same routine. Wake up. Wet my hair. Put product in my hair, which in this case was Right On Curl. I did this same thing for a while and had finally started to see growth, slowly but surely.
 
   In June of 2009, at a little above bra strap length, I received a perm and practically had to start over. My hair fell out tremendously. That was the last time I chemically processed my hair.
(It took a little over a year for all of my relaxed ends to finally just break off.)
Since then, I have learned so much about proper hair care, and more specifically, how to properly take care of my own hair.
 
    I don’t put any harsh chemicals in my hair (perm, bleach, etc.) I have also PUT DOWN THE FLATIRON (more than I normally would)! That was my biggest hang-up. I loved my hair in its straightened state, but I have come to love my curls more. Since doing so, I have reaped so many benefits. My curls are tighter, shinier, and just overall healthier. Now I’m not one to stop heat cold turkey, so from time to time I do straighten to check my length or just change up my look a bit.
One of the most important things, however, that I think helped me was protective styling. I cannot stress enough how important this is for me. I do my best to keep my hands out of my hair and since I have made that change in itself, I have saw a change in my hair, that I did not see with just heat alone (although that was a big part also).


  I also took prenatal vitamins for about two months’ time, but I’m not one that likes to take pills and so I would forget to take them! Though I can say, that during those two months, I saw an increase in thickness and definitely length. I gained more in length in that two month period, than I did in my normal three months of growth altogether, normally. Currently, I am an inch or so past mid-back length and hope to continue to grow long, strong, and healthy hair!
,







(Throughout my journey I do not wear my hair straight all the time. These pictures are merely to show the difference in length. )









Sincerely,
   A Natural





3 comments:



  1. Hey girl I love your Channel girl I recommended to any natural !! :D I've been having some probs with my hair .
    I've the natural ever since birth. And have been trying to grow my hair for a long time but it's always stayed the same length. I now have been deep conditioning & hydrating the ends but I've noticed that I have a lot of split ends. Could the split ends be preventing my hair growth do I need to cut them ASAP? Thank you in advance & God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!
      Hair grows from your scalp not your ends. So to answer your question, no. I do not believe that is the problem. I have not trimmed my ends in over 4+ years and they are healthy and I haven't had any problems. Just make sure you keep them moisturized. Your diet also contributes to hair growth. Malnutrition will slow it down, so besides exercising you could also try taking a multivitamin.
      Also, be sure to check out my "Four Reasons Your Natural Hair Doesn't Appear to Be Growing". I explain more in depth there.

      http://sincerelyanatural.blogspot.com/2015/02/four-reasons-your-natural-hair-doesnt.html?m=0

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Official YouTube Channel of Karen's Body Beautiful

    Karen's Body Beautiful offers a wide array of award-winning natural, luxurious, emollient-rich products for hair, bath and body.
    Karen's Body Beautiful products don't contain sulfates, parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, DEA or artificial color. The products are cruelty-free and not tested on animals.
    Entrepreneur and educator Karen Tappin-Saunderson founded Karen's Body Beautiful, and in just seven short years, transformed her natural body and hair care line from a modest home-based business to a blossoming enterprise with robust internet sales. Karen decided to create all natural alternatives to incorporate into her gift baskets.
    Karen is a highly sought after speaker and has participated in a number of business-related lectures and panels. She's also an active community volunteer and continues to work extensively with urban youth, particularly teenage girls. Her company and products have been profiled in a myriad of publication


    natural hair
    afro
    twist out
    crochet braids
    curl definition
    long natural hair
    natural hair growth
    natural hair tutorial
    curly hair
    length check
    dry natural hair
    cornrow
    blow outr
    natural hair regimen

    ReplyDelete